Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sheepish Confessions

So a dear friend comments to me -- not on my blog, mind you, but to my face -- "Why do you give out all these dessert recipes if you're a diabetic?"

My answer: "There are reasons I am diabetic. My pancreas is tired. And I have a treasure trove of wee tasties that deserve to be passed on to the benefit of all mankind." (...most of which happen to be very sinful...)

While I have diabetes, it does not have me. These days, with a little juggling, I can eat almost anything as long as I starve myself of proper food, have plenty of advance notice, and ingest said tasty treats in miniscule portions. Life isn't perfect, but as the great Spencer Tracy would say, "It may not be much, but what's there is churce."

To prove I actually eat something besides cookie bars, here's a recipe for some proper food -- it's what people at my church call a perfect food storage recipe. It's simple, it's a one-pot meal, and I actually won a prize for this at Preparedness Night.

CHICKEN TACO STEW

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (16-oz.)can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16-oz.)can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16-oz.)can corn, drained
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (28-oz.) can tomatoes
1 (7-oz.) can diced green chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 teaspoon cumin
2 or 3 cans chicken breast(I know! but you have to use it in SOMETHING!)
chopped cilantro, optional

Heat oil in a dutch oven and add onion; stir until the onions are translucent (for those educated in California, that means "see-through"). Add black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, tomatoes, green chilies, taco seasoning, and cumin and stir with a really big spoon. Drain canned chicken and add in the last five minutes of cooking. Spoon into bowls and garnish with a healthy dusting of chopped cilantro.

I got extra points for including the cilantro out of my garden. If I had a cow and could make my own sour cream, I might have run away with the big prize of the night, a huge wheat grinder that looked like it came out of the opening credits of Kate and Leopold (in unison now, girls: sigh for Leo...!) I was thrilled with the cookbook, however, because I never win anything, except, of course, the love of Mr. Adams and the young lad and lass, which makes life ginger-peachy and so worth whatever I have to do to keep on living.






8 comments:

Christa Jeanne said...

Ooooh, yummers! I may have to try this - sounds delish!

And I know what you mean about the tired pancreas. Diabetes and the like doesn't run in my family. I'm thoroughly convinced I killed it myself by eating straight spoonfuls of sugar as a child. Gross. If only I'd known...

crabigail adams said...

Yes, I think meals involving popcorn and peanut m&ms in college were probably a mistake...the pop-tarts might also have contributed, but I never liked the frosted ones, so I'm giving those a pass.

Marjie said...

I'm so glad you came to visit me! You have the same political streaks as we do. You'll be amused to know that there has long been a story in my mother's family that we are "related" somehow to Quincy himself. The lady to whom I refer in my waffle post must be the same lady you knew, because she was a Mormon! I'll be catching up on your earlier entries as time permits.

Unknown said...

I don't ever remembera meal with popcorn and peanut m&ms, but I distinctly remember a Thanksgiving dressing with too much sage...and was that a turkey "roll" we actually made? lol

crabigail adams said...

Do you remember the Easter ham we made? We didn't realize it was covered in wax paper before we cooked it -- we learned that REALLY affects the basting of the meat...! It's a good thing we made all those mistakes as roommates -- my family likes to eat too much to have that many meals ruined. But I still make your guacamole, and you were the one who taught me to make a white sauce; you have forever made your mark on my kitchen!

The Queen said...

That sounds really yummy. So glad you are posting again. Although I do notice this was written 10 days ago... ;)

crabigail adams said...

All right, you! I'm gathering my thoughts for a whopper of a column, if you must know...and trying to find fab recipe...so there, you...you...oh, bosh!

The Queen said...

hehe :)

p.s. my word verification is "mentribe". What kind of a joint is this anyway?? ;)